Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
1. An individual can administer his or her own solo 401k

Yes, it is possible to do so, if you have earned income from your own business. As the employee in 2015, you can defer up to $18k of your compensation. As the employer, your business can make a contribution of up to 25% of the profit. Combined, the total contribution is limited to $53k. Additionally, if you are 50 or older by the end of the year, you can make an additional catch-up contribution of $5k, which is not counted toward the $53k limit.

2. Can retirement pay be used to fund?

No. Only your compensation and the business profits can be used.

I'd like to shield the income from takes somewhat... Pretty sure I can't use my retirement check to fund and thst the IRS will need to see new income...sigh...

Yeah, only income that's reported can be used for contributions to a 401(k). <sarcasm>Given that it sounds like your career and your retirement both are funded from taxes, it seems to be a bit disingenuous to be asking about how to fund a 401(k) without declaring the income.</sarcasm>

AJ
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.