Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
1) Calulate my vehicle expense at .37 per mile for milage created traveling to client offices.

Q) If I do this, my vehicle expenses obviously are greater than the gasoline receipts. How does this work come tax time?

You deduct the 37 cents per business mile and ignore the gasoline receipts.

2) Calculate vehicle expenses based directly on gasoline receipts.

Q) How do I differentiate between personal vehicle usage, and business usage if I just attach all of my gas receipts?

Either way, you need to keep track of your business mileage and total mileage during the year. If you want to use actual expenses, you need to keep track of ALL of your gasoline, oil changes, maintenace, insurance, repairs, and other car related expenses during the year. Then you total those up and apply the business use percentage from your mileage figures.

You might also want to post this over on the Tax Strategies board. There are several tax pros who respond to posts on that board.

--Peter
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.