Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
1. Can I do this since I already put a contract on the new condo?

I'm not certain of this, but my gut feeling is that you're OK.

2. If I can, can I pull out my original down payment from the original rental property and just roll the gain into the new condo?

Yes, as long as you don't mind paying some tax. The theory behind 1031 exchanges is that you continue your investment. If you take your down payment out, you're not continuing your investment. In the nuts and bolts of it, if you take cash out of the deal, that cash is going to be taxable. It doesn't matter what you try to call it.

3. Would I be able to receive my deposit back from the new condo and simply use the proceeds from my rental property sale as the down payment?

I'm assuming you mean a deposit to hold the property for you. If so, yes, you can get that back out. You can look at the net cash in the exchange. Since you've put some in at this point, you can also take that much out. But you can't take it out until you complete the second leg of the exchange, I think.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.