Skip to main content
This Board Has Moved

This board has been migrated to our new platform! Check out the new home page at discussion.fool.com or click below to go directly to the new Board on the new site.

Go to the New Site
No. of Recommendations: 0
(1) Do you have a way to screen stocks with certain IBD ratings that's easier and less time-consuming than scanning the thousands of listings in their paper? (3 of your 8 screens key off of IBD ratings.)

Yes, that is a bummer. Perhaps an IBD subscription gives you access to a nice screener with this info. You could do two things:

1) Ignore those 3 filters. I did.
2) Approximate them. Read up what those EPS and RS ratings are about, and have fun fiddling with the stock screener of your choice. If you pick any Earnings Growth measure for EPS and look for values that pass only 10% or 5%, you'll get something that is not comparable to EPS, but at least you request earnings growth from your growth stocks. EARNINGS GROWTH! We want that. RS is some complex appreciation measurement; you could try 26 week price appreciation if you would like to approximate that. Or see 1).
2a) The first screen should be easy to do with the paper: look at the stocks with new highs and get their EPS. (I don't have that paper. My library doesn't have the paper. Other libraries in the neighborhood don't have it. I don't want them to frustrate me, so I just don't want it.)

(2) For the benefit of me and others who don't know trigonometry, calculus, or which ever form of math applies, could you explain how one calculates an "r-squared correlation coefficient"? I'm assuming the "r" is radius (which raises the question, Radius of what arc or circle?)--after that, I'm lost.

I was lost too, before I discovered the R-squared function in my spreadsheet program. It falls under statistics, so that is the branch of mathemagics you are looking for. You need two rows of data: the closing prices, and a series numbering these from 1 (earliest) to +/- 250 (most recent). Plug them in the formula, and you get a number. Higher is better. More I don't know.

Awaiting the words of the master, I respectfully remain,

Karel
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.