Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
(1) Get in line on the Prius -- only 16,000 people are ahead of you...including my wife and me. :^) We ordered a Salsa Red with pretty much everything other than the DVD navigation system...

I have a Lexus RX300 with navigation, and it's amazing. Not only does it tell you where you are, but you can have it show you all the gas stations, hotels, parks, shopping centers and points of interest in the area where you are driving. If you select the hotel icon on the map, it shows which hotel it is and provides the phone number.
To find an address, you enter the destination address before you leave and the navigation system directs you on the way there. A voice tells you when to turn, and will even let you know what lane to be in if you have to make an immediate second turn. If you go a different way, the navigation system will redirect you from your new location. It splits the screen for an up-coming turn so you can glance down and see what street and exit number you need to turn on and how close you are to it (it gives verbal directions so you don't have to look at the screen).
It can be programmed to avoid toll roads and ferries if you have those in your area.
How often have you driven to a neighborhood where the houses are all similar and driven around a while looking for a specific street, forgetting exactly where it is? It has happened to me, but you can zoom out the map and it will show you all the streets in the area where you are at.
Another cool feature is a message center which when selected will tell you what song and artist is playing on the radio station you are listening to. This doesn't work while the vehicle is in motion to prevent people from playing with it while driving.
Even though I have lived in my area all my life, I find it very handy and see it easily will become something you hate to be without. I look forward to traveling outside my state with it.
Print the post  

Announcements

Beware Flood-Damaged Cars
Know what you are getting, don't get stuck with a Katrina victim. Check these links before you buy.
Disclaimer - Please Read
A message about professional advice.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.