Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
1. How much do you need in order to declare yourself financially independent?

I've determined that $2.5 Mil would be about right for me and mine as that would give me $100,000 annually with a 4% withdrawal rate. By the time that I can enjoy retirement, this amount will probably be about the equivalent of $30,000 annually in today's money.

2. How do you plan to get there?

Investing in my401k (which is matched with company stock up to 3% of my gross), investing in my Roth IRA and starting the same for me soon-to-be bride, and participating in my company's (UPS) discounted stock purchase program for as long as I am an employee there. Additionally, I hope to build other investments such as rent houses and the like.

3. How close are you (years from goal and % of money you still need)?

I am 23 years old, and currently have about $15,000 invested. I have had to slow down my investing as of late as I have purchased a home, and am getting married in late September. But, when I can pick it all up again, I anticipate being able to retire by age 55. So, that is 32 years down the road. Though, it is completely possible that my circumstances may change and retirement may come sooner. It is simply dependent on how much I can invest at any given time (particularly here in the earlier years) which is dictated by how well I manage my incomes and outflows.

--Xenonax
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.