Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
1. How would I verify this is the case before the end of the year?

Do a projection of your tax return. You'll only need to work on page 1 of the 1040, as you just need to get to AGI. You can get draft 2012 tax forms and instructions here:

2. If that's the case, what's the best way for me to withdraw that non-deductable contribution from the traditional IRA and place it in the Roth IRA for TY 2012?

You would need to recharacterize the current year contribution from a traditional IRA to a Roth IRA. I believe you have until April 15 2013 to recharacterize 2012 contributions.

If you are going to be close to this threshold every year, it might make sense to delay making your IRA contributions until you've prepared your tax returns. You have until the initial filing deadline (April 15) to make IRA contributions for the prior year.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.