Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
[[1. I remove the $1300 in contributions plus its gains from the traditional IRA, using the procedure
you outlined.

2. I keep the gains and pay tax on them.]]

Stop right here. I don't remember the first post, it sounds like you are heading down the wrong path here. With ANY regular IRA, there is no way to simply "carve out" the original contributions and earnings and segregare them from the remainder of the IRA. This is true with a deductible or non-deductible IRA. The entire IRA is considered one entire IRA. So all of the information is common to all of the earnings, etc.

[[ I hope that's a better explanation.]]

Sorry...not really. I just can't figure out what you are trying to accomplish. In the meantime, you should really read IRS Publication 590. That'll tell you how you must treat your IRA distributions, how they must be allocated, and how you must treat the IRA as homogenious.

Once you have had the chance to read Pub 590, come on back, start all over (from the beginning), be clear, and I'll try to help.

TMF Taxes
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.