Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
1) I strive to keep half my securities in US $ and half in Cdn $
2) I prefer to buy on the exchange where there are higher volumes (so it's easier to buy/sell)

I can't comment on options but I would agree that points 1 and 2 above are big considerations.
Arbitrage movements by the financial houses though should mean that differences between the NY and TO listings are minimal to non-existent at buying time. Retail investors are unlikely to win at that game.
Personally I own more US stocks and European ADRs listed in NYSE than I do Canadian ones. I like the consumer facing companies and there is a lot more choice in NY.
Obviously finding the right stocks for you is the main thing wherever they are listed.
Personally I keep it simple and buy US stocks (or ADRs) in the US and Canadian stocks in Canada.
Hope this helps.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.