Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 9
1) If Enron had paid dividends(and taxes, and salaries) it would have been moere difficult to get into this mess as it would have had a cash flow crises a while back.

2) All financial numbers are subject to maniplation including dividends.
Currently earnings and revenues are more subject to manipulation than any other. With dividends you atleast have proof positive that they exist and the the company can issue checks that are honored.

3) If a business is really that good it should be able to produce more profit than it can reinvest. The excess profit can go to dividends, stupid projects, the cult leader CEO. Which would you prefer?

4) When MSFT was a smallish company sure reinvesting in MSFT made sense. Windows is a mature product, Office is more or less mature, MSFT has a choice spend the excess profits on silly adventures (Xbox?), salaries or dividends.

5) "I feel that there is a widespread irrational desire for dividends."
Nah!!! Most investors look down their noses at dividends, growth is
still the false god of this market.

6) I feel that there is a widespread irrational desire for tax avoidance. I suggest you worry about making money, taxes are a minor consideration.

7) Stock buybacks are mostly used to justify CEO pay packages and bailout large investors that want to exit their stock positions. I tend to be a buy and hold type. Buybacks do little for me.

8) "Excess cash should be returned to shareholders as a dividend if the
share price is overvalued."

Why should the CEO of a restaurant chain be charged with determining value? I doubt most of them can. They should do what they do best, invest in their #@$% restaurant chain and return anything they cannot invest effectively to the shareholders.

Shareholders can simply buy shares with their dividends, if the shares are indeed overvalued.

9) "avoid additional taxes?" avoiding taxes is not the same thing as making money.

Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.