Skip to main content
This Board Has Moved

This board has been migrated to our new platform! Check out the new home page at discussion.fool.com or click below to go directly to the new Board on the new site.

Go to the New Site
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
1. If you are buying into the market, almost everything is on sale and your investment dollar is going further than it did 6 months ago.
2. If you have to take RMDs, your RMD and tax bill look to be lower this year than last year.
Please add more if there are any.

#1 is 100% correct...if you are still investing. Buying "on sale" over three decades juiced my returns above what the overall market returned--not because of "investing smarts," but because of math. You buy more shares at the lows than at the highs. Unfortunately, if you are living off your money as a retiree, this works in reverse. You draw the money out to live on, and no longer have it in your possession when the market goes back up.

#2 sounds like a rationalization--"I'm paying less taxes because I'm making less money!"

I'll add one:
3. If you want to do a partial Roth conversion, you can convert some funds at current prices which are lower...so either convert more shares for the same tax bill, or convert the same shares you were thinking about in December 2021 but have a lower tax bill. (Hopefully, you will not have to *sell* assets that are way down to cover the extra taxes on the conversion.)
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.