Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
1. In the airport,

I'm traveling by car.

2. In the airplane,

I'm traveling by car.

But in an airplane, the air circulates from overhead in the center of the airplane to the floor on the sides. It then passes through some pretty good (from a health standpoint) filtration before returning to the cabin. The safest seats, then would be at the center of the plane. The riskiest at the windows.

3. The hotel

Yes. I'm staying in hotels. In most hotels, each room has it's own HVAC. That's the noisy box on the outside wall. If you wanted to be really safe, select a hotel with outside corridors rather than an indoor hallway. Avoid the room for at least an hour after the maids are there. If possible, return to your room after the maid service. Wear your mask to turn the HVAC system on, then leave again. Wait another hour for the air to circulate and be exhausted.

4. In a cruise ship,

You got me there. I will probably never take a cruise again. Even in good times in the pre-pandemic days, they were floating petri dishes.

5. It's much harder to eat a healthy diet

I'm not interested in eating a perfectly healthy diet when on vacation. But it's certainly possible to do fairly well by asking questions of your server and selecting meals carefully. You can order salads and vegetable side dishes. Lean steaks and fish that isn't covered in batter and deep fried are often available. Vacation is a time to relax your eating standards a bit.

6. If you're required to be tested for COVID-19 and test positive, what are you supposed to do?

Because I'm driving, I get in my car and head wherever.

But if you are flying, you can buy trip insurance to reimburse your costs if you have to miss flights or stay extra hotel nights. I'd also make sure I know what the requirements are for return travel in regards to covid testing. I might not want to fly anywhere were the requirements are unusually stringent.

7. Even if I had the perfect immune system that could easily defeat every pathogen that ever existed in the history of the world, I still wouldn't fly or go on a cruise.

That's why I'm driving.

--Peter <= enjoying some travel in the near future.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.