Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
1. Is it possible to ask for a new salesman to deal with? Or do we just not go back to that particular dealer?

Sure. Why spend a couple hours with someone who isn't providing you satisfactory service? Next time you call, ask for the sales manager, explain yourselves, and ask for a different representative.

2. The internet price was $2000 less than the window sticker price. Will the dealer still negotiate the interent price down some?

As Todd said, it is free to ask. Is the internet price fair? On what grounds would you justify a lower offer? Offer reasons for your proposal.

3. There were a few cosmetic defects, is it reasonable for me to ask them to fix them before I come back for a test drive?

Depends on the things you want looked at. If you're concerned about things like light scratches that might or might not buff out, or stains on carpet that might or might not come out, sure. If the issues are more substantial, raise them as concerns see how the sales manager responds.

4. We were going to take a test drive this weekend, but the form the salesman brought back for us to sign required that we have both collision and liability insurance. We only carry liability as our cars are worth so little. I called my insurance company and for $50 per 6 months, they can add collision coverage. Is it typical for a dealer to require test drivers to have collision insurance?

Laws about this vary considerably from state to state. In Illinois, where I work, our insurance is primary. If you wreck our car while test driving, your responsibility is theoretically limited to our deductible of $1000. I don't know of any customer ever paying for damage done to a car while test driving. It is our car, we gave you permission to drive it. I can think of a half-dozen cases over the years of customers damaging cars while on test drives. I can't think of a single time when the customer paid the first dime of repair expenses. Bottom line though it is is the dealership's car, and they can decide who can and cannot drive it. Explain your concern to the sales manager and tell him that you and your wife both have valid driver's licenses and liability insurance, and that if you can't drive the car you won't buy it.

Hope this helps a bit

Dean
Print the post  

Announcements

Beware Flood-Damaged Cars
Know what you are getting, don't get stuck with a Katrina victim. Check these links before you buy.
Disclaimer - Please Read
A message about professional advice.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.