Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
1) Me because of the signed statement in the divorce decree

If the divorce decree says you say you can claim it so long as you're paying child support, then I have a hard time seeing you ignoring that portion. Of course, if you have some other paper (such as a Form 8332, or equivalent) that doesn't mention this clause, you *may* have an argument... however...

2) The child because the age of 18 was reached and the child is now working and filing a return

This is what you definitely need to check out in full first. If he can claim his own exemption, then you and his mother can fight all day long, and its irrelevant, because he's not a dependent of either of you.

Publication 17 is your reference, here's the part on "Qualifying Child":
http://www.irs.gov/publications/p17/ch03.html#d0e10918

Note if he doesn't meet 'qualifying child' because of age, you could check 'qualifying relative' as well, but it doesn't seem like that'll be the case.

3) Ex wife because after August 2006 the child lives with her full time.

If he's one of your dependent, I frankly have to lean towards your ex-wife, as the terms of the child support agreement as up. As such, the first tie-breaker is who the child lives with longer. But again, if he supports himself, then none of this seems to matter.
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.