Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 2
1. Since he donated his professional time & energy, is it an in-kind donation or was he just volunteering?

He was volunteering.

3. If I send him a letter of thanks with the description and dollar value of his work, will he be able to deduct it, ...?

No. One cannot deduct the value of personal services contributed to a charity.

3. What are some good, practical sources of information that would help me out at this early stage of trying to put the whole bookkeeping system together?

Sorry - I'm not much help here. One thing to keep in mind is that if your donation income gets to something like $25k, you'll need to start filing form 990 with the IRS (and possibly something with your state as well). It's been a while since I've worked with a non-profit, so I don't know if that 990 filing threshold is current. You might get a copy of the form and instructions to check what the current requirement is.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.