Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
1. Six months of expenses is too generic IMO, but it's not bad as a rule of thumb. Your problem is what happens if the higher wage earner gets run over by a bus -- and lives. That net may be six months of expenses, or not.

2. Not cash only for the emergency fund, but readily available funds like breakable CD's, ST treasuries, etc. I know that's a hard emergency number when you're young ... but bad stuff happens.

3. Actually I used a home equity line of credit for cash flow since about forever and reasoned that it allowed me to reduce my emergency fund. It helped with purchases where I KNEW I'd be able to make up the money. Dangerous -- but OK if disciplined. I also used it for the kids college education. Again, I saved enough for two years and my cash flow allowed me to finance the final two through current savings AND the HELOC. PS: You're right -- the home is exempt by formula from FIFA but your investments are not.

4. Heck, at your saving rate, with kids, you should be teaching ME. Congratulations! The only thing I'd add is that AFTER kids, you have more money to put toward retirement than you can imagine. I keep a pretty tight budget, but kids cost in ways that creep throughout, and I've saved more than I thought. That LBYM habit is wonderful!!!!

Got to run. DW has a few more things to get. Again, congratulations. It NEVER hurts to run ideas past these people. I LOVE to learn how their minds work.

Hockeypop
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.