Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
1. The complete Hitchhiker's Guide series, by Douglas Adams -- to cheer myself up and reflect that some people are worse off than me.
2. Unweaving the Rainbow by Richard Dawkins -- to remind myself of the fundamental beauty of the universe, and that there's no need to fall into superstition to appreciate it.
3. Godel Escher Bach, by Douglas Hofstadter -- because it contains great reading on every subject that's important, and you can never read it enough times.
4. Lightning, by Dean Koontz -- because I've read it a bunch of times and it's still good.
5. Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett -- because I have to have something by Ken Follett, and that's the longest one I can think of.
6. David and Tom Gardner's "You Have More Than You Think" -- because it'll keep me upbeat, and I can think about my plans for what to do after I get off the island.
7. "The Lady or the Tiger? And Other Logic Puzzles", by Raymond Smullyan -- because I've never been able to solve all those puzzles near the end of the book, and I would have a lot of time to work them out.
8. History of Western Philosophy by Bertrand Russell -- because I've been meaning to read it someday, and it would probably keep me occupied for a long time.
9. The Tinkertoy Computer and Other MacHinations -- haven't read it, but maybe it would give me an idea how to build a computer out of sticks or something, and then I'd have a project to pass the time.
10. An issue of Playboy, because my wife wouldn't be around and... well, I'd get bored.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.