Skip to main content
Update
The boards are getting a new home!

We're pleased to announce an update is coming to the community boards.

Sunday, September 25th: We are migrating the boards to a new platform. The site is currently in read-only mode and we will bring it back online as soon as the migration is complete.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
1. They carry a mortgage on their homes even though they can afford to pay it off.
Keep your money working for you. Every dollar paid to the bank is one less that you have to invest.
Your house will grow in value no matter what.

I have a real problem with #1.

I just saw the show.

What's funny is, #1 was the only one I wholeheartedly agreed with. It may SEEM to make more sense to pay off your mortgage, but for most people it isn't. In your own example, it's a question of what you can do with that $83.

The way to look at is this. Your mortgage carries an interest rate of let's say 8%. If you put that $83 dollars toward you mortgage, essentially what you'd be doing is getting a return of 8% on your $83. Or you might choose to put that $83 in the market. You're probably going to make more than 8%. Possibly more like 10% to 15%.

Trust me the math works. (I've run spreadsheets on it myself).

But what I want to know is, what's up with Edelman's #5? Don't measure yourself against the market indexes? Well how that heck are you supposed to know if your money is in the best place it can be? The only way to do that is to measure yourself against some benchmark.

Edelman's "findings" are nice but I don't think they are very useful for the most part.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.