Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 18
Greetings all!

Today is my 10 year Fooliversary! (Thanks to impolite for remembering and posting. She is exactly one Fool year younger than me so we always remember our Fooliversaries).

As a special reward for my Fooliversary today I started my new job!!!!

First day at this place was 100% different than my first day at the old place....for the BETTER. I certainly hope this is an indicator of my better things to come.

Reflecting back.....

10 years ago when I joined, I was 24 years old and a few months into my first shiny new professional job after college - working as one of those IT consultants who got on a plane on Monday morning and flew home on Tuesday night. I was turned on to TMF and a couple of other sites by a project manager I worked with named David. He said that he had kids my age and that he liked to try and help steer new college grads like myself onto the right financial path BEFORE they got too used to their "adult" paycheck.

I owe David quite a lot for taking the time and interest to help point me in the right direction. My parents aren't bad with money, but they are not "corporate" types - they are academics who were looking at pensions for their many decades of employment with the same institutions - not a likely scenario for someone like me.

The lessons I learned in my early years on TMF may well have saved me from bankrupcty when the tech crash occurred. When the bottom started falling out of tech in 2000, I had just under 2 years of experience in IT. I went through 2 layoffs in 6 months, was out of work for about 4-5 months in 2001. I accrued debt during this time since I hadn't had time to put together a good emergency fund, but I was nowhere near as bad off as my early-career peers who had bought cars costing 2 or 3 times as much as mine did, and who had fancier apartments and the like.

Today, I am married and 10 years into a fine IT career. There have been ups and downs to be sure, but I am more confident in myself, my ability to earn a living, and my ability to manage my finances than I have ever been before, and TMF is a key part of that.

Hope everyone has a great day today. I know I did.

d
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.