Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 7
100% of my retirement money is in two accounts, an IRA (75%) and a ROTH (25%). In the IRA I have my cash cushion, 16% of the total, and calculated to give me five very comfortable years of living without selling anything. The idea is that events like 2000 and 2008 have not lasted that long. The rest of my IRA and all my ROTH are invested in equities, focusing on growth. Roughly half of those are in "Saul type" companies. I keep a close eye on all the companies in my relatively concentrated portfolio, but I don't trade often. Returns have been so high that I just keep shaking my head. My current prosperity is more than I ever imagined and I haven't entirely gotten my head around it.

Normally I live off my fixed income (SS Survivor, 2 small pensions) supplemented by IRA withdrawals that exceed those. Expenses include a mortgage (2.75%) with 29 years remaining. I do ROTH conversions from the IRA when I can without creating crazy taxes. I only make such withdrawals from the IRA when the checking account gets low, so there is no scheduled or fixed amount. In just over two years I will hit age 70 and start collecting my own SS rather than Survivor benefit based on my wife's SS; that will be more than double what it replaces.

Having sold my old house this past summer, for the first time I have significant cash that is not in an IRA or ROTH. Some has been put aside for a Tesla Y. Some was used to pay the taxes on a ROTH conversion. Some is used for my living expenses, letting me avoid IRA withdrawals. Some was allocated to adding solar to the house, due in a couple of weeks. Instead I am taking them up on the offer of 0.99% financing. The remaining cash from the house will carry me well into next year, but perhaps not all the way through. Then I will revert to living off IRA withdrawals.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.