No. of Recommendations: 77
1,000 people 50 or older, approaching retirement or retired, found that 23 percent would change when they started drawing Social Security to a later age.

Um, people under 62 don't have the option of taking SS at all, so they don't have an opportunity to "do over".
Only people between 63 and 70 have the opportunity to do-over.

And people who are 70 know they lived to 70, so they are the only ones who can even voice an opinion. The people who died before 70 didn't get polled. Talk about survivorship bias!

And, y'now, if when I hit 70 I knew how much AAPL would have grown since I was 62, I would have invested in it. Everybody wishes they had 20-20 hindsight. You can only make a decision based on what you know *now*, you can't make a decision based on what you'll know in 8 years.

This is really a great example of a garbage survey. I suspect the three-quarter respondents said, "Duh, are you kidding me?" , right before they slammed down the phone.

And 24 percent of recent retirees said their benefits were less than expected.
1) Huh? There is no excuse for that ignorance. SSA sends out an annual letter telling them the amount of their expected benefit.

2) Did they think that SS was like a winning lottery ticket?

Truly a click-bait garbage poll.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.