Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
1000nam,

I havent seen anything specific but this sounds like a version of the Bill Parrish vs MSFT and the high tech stock world thing. Also rehashed about one month ago in "The Economist" and other European media. The basic premise is that high tech stocks are all losing money because they use options to pay employees as part of their compensation, as well as for acquisitions etc. The hypothesis is that if cashed all at once the companies would lose money covering and fail and the market would crash and someone would call all your ex girl/boy friends and tell them your new address, etc etc.. It has been largely, if not entirely, debunked by most folks knowledgeable in this area - including an article a while back in the RM port (sorry no link but it should be in the archives on a topic about "options overhang").

Anyway, if there is serious information on this topic I would be happy to know, as well as a source with hard numbers. Til then I too am considering QCOM, though the ROIC is holding me back a bit (about 50% for annual98 and 4*prev qtr than for Nokia), anyone got good reasons/data for that???

cheers,

jgc
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.