No. of Recommendations: 0
$100/kWh would be something else.
For my own house, for example, I don't have a backup generator as my power is pretty reliable.
Right now I could put in a natural gas one for, say $4K that would run my house as long as the gas supply stays on.
Or, I could put in a 10 kWh battery for about $8-9K (installed cost) that would run some important circuits and re-charge from solar day by day.
No comparison.

But if the battery was even the same cost as the NG generator, I'd probably go with the battery.
And at $100/kWh, the battery would be much cheaper and then it's a no-brainer.
But IMO we need some technological breakthroughs to get to that level.

Back when tropical storm Sandy took out my electrical power for 6 1/2 days, it was not very sunny and it would take over a kilowatt to keep my important electrical devices running. And some friends were without power for over a month. They said the hell with it, sold out at a loss, and moved to Florida (which will have its own problems with salt water contamination of the water supply, sea level rise, etc.).

And by important electrical devices not included above there is my electric stove, washing machine, clothes dryer. I am not sure if I could let my heating system run when the refrigerator wanted to. It has four circulators that are about 75 watts each plus its control system, and three of them could be on at the same time for 24 hours at a time though that is more likely to be only 18 hours per day. I do know I could not shower, wash and dry clothes, or cook for a week, and I could not go out to eat because the restaurants had the same problems and were closed.

That is when I had a natural gas backup generator installed. One of these:

http://www.kohlerpower.com/home/home-generators/products?pro...

As long as the gas company (buried gas pipes, newly installed to replace the 65 year old ones) does its duty, and I have enough lubricating oil for the generator, I should be OK. Electric power here is distributed by overhead power lines. Around here, the power lines were OK, but the power from the Oyster Creek Nuclear power plant was not getting here, so the five towns around here were all out.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.