Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
101070 writes:

Greetings all. I have a rookie question....I am setting up my 401k and have been thinking about choosing a Wells Fargo S&P 500 Stock Fund for EBT. Is this a true index fund? I can't find any info on it, and would it be foolish to put my money, I'm also thinking of Franklin Small cap fund. I apologize if this question is redundant. Cheers. And Thank you for any information.

Yes, it's a real index fund. The symbol should be NVINX (you can check with your Human Resources department to make sure it's the same fund). NVINX is actually a fairly good index fund with a low expense ratio and above-average performance (compared against other S&P 500 index funds).

Here is more information:

http://quicktake.morningstar.com/Fund/Snapshot.asp?Country=USA&Symbol=NVINX

The Franklin Small Cap funds appear to have much larger expense ratios (they're not index funds). If you want some small-cap exposure, see if you have the option of a small-cap index fund (Russell 2000 or S&P 600), an extended market index fund (Wilshire 4500), or a total stock market index fund (Wilshire 5000). I'd be surprised if you had a second index fund, but some people have better plans than others.

More information on all those indices is here:

http://www.fool.com/school/indices/sp500.htm

(The Wilshire 4500 is just the Wilshire 5000 minus the S&P 500 stocks. It can be used in combination with the S&P 500 to approximate the total stock market.)

- BlueAdept
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.