Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I am selling my rental condo and I am going to make a fifty thousand dollar profit. My question is, can I take twenty five thousand dollars of the profit to purchase a deeded indoor parking space, and pay taxes on the other twenty five thousand dollars? Could this qualify as a 1031 exchange?

Thanks in advance,

Mike
Print the post Back To Top
You can certainly take $25K of the profit and buy a parking space, but I expect you're gonna pay taxes on all $50K. A 1031 exchange normally requires that you exchange property for like property, and moreover the property has to be in productive use in a business. So you could acquire another rental condo or a small apartment building in an exchange. Unless you're planning on erecting a tent in the parking space and renting it out as low cost housing, I don't think this will fly as a 1031 exchange.

Lorenzo
I am selling my rental condo and I am going to make a fifty thousand dollar profit. My question is, can I take twenty five thousand dollars of the profit to purchase a deeded indoor parking space, and pay taxes on the other twenty five thousand dollars? Could this qualify as a 1031 exchange?

The numbers don't justify a 1031 exchange. In a 1031 you defer immediate capital gains taxes on the positive difference between your calulated profit minus your boot(non-like kind assets received or liabilities trnsfered) and calculated profit. Your boot from the sale consists of your cost basis plus your net profit minus the $25,000 real estate(Parking space) received. This appears to be larger than your calculated profit, so you will be unable to defer any gain on the 1031 exchange.
You can certainly take $25K of the profit and buy a parking space, but I expect you're gonna pay taxes on all $50K. A 1031 exchange normally requires that you exchange property for like property, and moreover the property has to be in productive use in a business. So you could acquire another rental condo or a small apartment building in an exchange. Unless you're planning on erecting a tent in the parking space and renting it out as low cost housing, I don't think this will fly as a 1031 exchange.

Lorenzo

All domestic rental real estate is considered like kin(land. warehouse, residential real estate) so I understand a parking space if used for rental would qualify. As always, if the exchanged properties are diverted from productive or rental use to personal use, it could invalidate the 1031 exchange.