Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Someone I know will be filling a tax return for the first time (in several years). She worked part of the 2012 year as an independent contractor with income reported on a 1099 (there is no W-2). This means, I suppose, she will need a Schedule C -- but since she has no deductions, I suppose it could be a C-EZ?? I also suppose that she will need to file Schedule SE. But what is the overall tax form she should use -- 1040? 1040A? 1040EZ?

And, since nothing is being withheld for income tax purposes, will she be required to make estimated tax payments in the future? (I suppose that she has not paid any estimated tax for 2013 so far. --Is that a problem?)

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.