Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0

It took 4 months, but I finally received my MI state tax return yesterday. Unfortunately, the state "adjusted it downward" to the tune of about $300. Accordingly to them, the bank mortgage statement I submitted in lieu of property tax bills was not an acceptable tax document, so the state refigured my homestead deduction based on the current taxable value and mill rates.

The document that I submitted was a Form 1098 document from ABN AMRO. It says "Federal Treasury Internal Revenue Service Document" right on it. Since I own less than 20% of my home, my tax payments are escrowed and ABN AMRO pays the property taxes. Since they pay the taxes, I never receive a bill and have no record other than the 1098 form that ABN AMRO sends me at the end of the year.

Has anyone had anything like this happen? Is it even worth my while to dispute this? Is there other documentation that I should receive? In order to dispute the readjustment, I need to submit further documentation, yet I don't know what else I could submit.


Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.