Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0

Hello all -

I started graduate school last week. I have taken out my first loan to pay for my first year, which was processed at the end of 2004. I received my Form 1098-T this week, and it denotes qualified tuition and related expenses since the tuition was paid by my loan in the end of 2004. However, I have not yet made a payment on the loan. Therefore, I assume that the amount noted on my 2004 1098-T is not tax deductible. Am I correct that I can only take deductions once I start paying on the loan and have an out of pocket expense?


Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.