Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I sold some of my minor daughters (age 15) mutual funds for a loss this year. She ended up with a $1,700 loss. Since she has no income, it looks like I cannot write this loss off. If I file a 1040 for her, the loss shows up on line 13. But since she had $0 taxable income, she gets nothing back. If this $1700 had been a gain, you better believe we would owe tax on it! Is there any way to write this $1700 loss off so we get some tax benefits from it?

Thanks in advance,
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.