Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I rolled-over my entire 401k account into a IRA
and then, ROTH IRA account last year (1998).
When I did this, I think we are given ~60 days
to complete the rollover, the stock in the plan paid
out dividends during this time. I also deposited this
dividend check into the IRA account. At the end
of the year, I received a 1099-DIV from the place
that distributed my 401k account. I know I don't
need to include this as "dividends earned" since
they were from a tax-sheltered plan rolled-over
to another tax-sheltered plan. How do I let the
IRS know that this is money that I'm not going to
be reporting on my taxes? What do I do with this
1099-div form?

Thanks for your help!!
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.