Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
Last month I got a 1099-MISC from a company I never heard of in a state
where I do no business.

I live in GA and own property in NY.

A company in NC I've never heard of or done business with sent me a
1099-MISC for several thousand dollars of rent.

The name, address, and SSN are mine.

I checked with my property manager to make sure it wasn't from him and
it isn't.

I checked two credit reports and am waiting on the third. No sign of
identity theft on the first two.

I looked around on the IRS site and the web, but no one seems to say
anything about this sort of case, only about what to do to 1099s that
have errors corrected. Nothing about what to do when the 1099 should not
exist at all.

So I assume someone at this company made a mistake. When I contact them,
what do I have to ask for to make sure they told the IRS they were wrong
and that the IRS acknowledges that?

Do I have to do anything to make sure the tax departments of all three
states have gotten the word also?

Should I delay filing my taxes until this is straightened out?
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.