Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
In 2004, I worked on a contracting gig for a while before getting a full-time position, so I have both 1099-MISC and W-2 income from last year, and my total income from those will be greater than the cutoff for Social Security taxes.

How is that going to impact the calculation of Self-Employment taxes? Is the W-2 inocme considered first, meaning I'd only pay SE tax on the difference between the SS cutoff and the W-2 income, or is it the other way around - I pay SE tax on the full 1099 income, and get back some of the SS overage on the W-2 income?
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.