Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I received two 1099R for IRA distributions from my deceased spouse's IRA and Employee. These distributions are not taxable, as I received the proceeds as a direct rollover into my IRA. I will be reporting the total distributions on lines 15a and 16a of 1040 with the taxable amount on lines 15b and 16b as zero.

Am I supposed to attach copies of the 1099-R to my return? The insructions which came with the 1099-R were not clear. It basically said that if you are required to attach the 1099-R, then attach Copy B. It did not clarify under what conditions you are supposed to attach them.

One of the 1099-R (for the IRA) also showed the taxable amount as equal to the total distribution, with the notation that the payer is not required to determine the taxability of IRA distributions. Is this correct or should I ask the payer to issue me a revised 1099-R with the taxable amount = zero?
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.