Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
OK, a little complicated, but...................
First, there was a short sale on an investment (rental) condo in Novemeber of 2012.
The lender issued a 1099c showing that there was a forgiveness of $97,000.00.
The recourse box was, properly, checked yes.
After running the insolvency worksheet, the individual is about $75,000.00 insolvent, leaving $22,000.00 of forgiveness as potentially taxable.
Can this balance of $22,000.00 be discharged on (the same)Form 982 as a Discharge of Real Property Business Indebtedness?

In other words, claim both the insolvency and the Discharge of Real Property Business Indebtedness on the same 982? It does say to check "boxes(s)" - plural in the first section of the form.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.