Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 2
Just received a 1099G from the state of Maine in the mail today. It shows the amount of our state tax refund from last year. Part of the letter states "The amount shown below may be taxable to you if you deducted the income or property tax paid as an itemized deduction on your federal income tax return." How can our state tax refund be taxable again? We did itemize last year and included our mortgage interest and our property tax in our itemized deductions. I'm confused! We filed last year with Turbo Tax and are doing the same this year. Where do I enter this 1099 in Turbo Tax? Thanks for any help you can provide.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.