Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
My wife used money that was in a traditional IRA to repay years of service credit she had previously withdrawn from a Teachers' Retirement System (IRC 401A plan - defined benefit plan). This check was addressed to the T.R.S. (FBO my wife) and went DIRECTLY to the T.R.S. so it would seem to be a trustee to trustee transfer, NOT a rollover. Nevertheless, Merrill Lynch chose to issue us a 1099R showing the amount as a distribution and used Code 1 (Early Distribution, no known exception), instead of Code G (Direct rollover and rollover contribution (other than a designated Roth account distribution) to a qualified plan).

My questions:
1. Is this a rollover requiring issuance of a 1099R, or is it a trustee to trustee transfer for which NO reporting is required?
2. If a 1099R is required, was the correct code "1" or should it have been "G"? If "G", will I have any luck getting Merrill Lynch to revise the 1099R?
3. Will the IRS accept my showing -0- as the taxable portion of the distribution if I simply write "Rollover" on the appropriate line?

Any insights would be appreciated!
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.