Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
125,000/2 = 62,500 :)

Somehow you'll have to liquidate holdings to equal that amount in YOUR 401k. Aside from having to split the amount I don't think there will be any other penalties, i.e. 10% tax on court ordered disbursement for you.

She can probably roll that amount into an IRA, but if she takes the cash there might be a 10% penalty for her. I'm not sure.

Check out IRS Pub 590, pg 27 on IRA's. I think it may be covered there.

Get a good lawyer.
Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.