Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I just discovered a very weird bug in the Google Translate mobile app.

I was listening to a podcast interview with Israeli hip-hop artist Shaanan Streett (founder of the hip hop / funk band Hadag Nahash). The interview was in English, but at roughly the 3 minute, 20 second mark, he uses a word that sounds like "bituLI."

Neither he nor the host knew how to translate the word into English.

I decided to try the Google Translate app on my phone. For the spelling, I guessed bet yod tav vav (cholám malé) lamed yod.

Google translate apparently didn't recognize that spelling as a word, so it suggested the spelling that is the subject of this post: bet yod tav yod lamed yod.

It came up with a long list of words, phrases, and entire sentences, none of which actually contained the word!

If you have the Google Translate app on your phone, type that word in and look at the results!

Note: This behavior is specific to the Translate app on my phone. It doesn't happen using a desktop or mobile browser. I only tested on an iPhone, but maybe it does the same on Android.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.