Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
Yes -- I saw some today in a local beer and wine shop, yet! Big open case of rolls with a sign "$1/49/roll - LIMIT 3". Saw some bought, too.

But grocery stores still don't usually seem to have any of it, or paper towels, or lots of stuff. Odd what IS available. Saw a lady filling up her carriage with jars of PICKLES! Really?

Vermonter
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
I'm sitting on a fortune with the 5000 rolls I have in my garage.

PSU
No. of Recommendations: 0
Saw a lady filling up her carriage with jars of PICKLES! Really?

Vermonter

Stress causes illogical decisions.

Pickles will last a long time and contain vitamin C. Although the British are called limey they often had pickles. They were on board the Nina, Pinta and Santa Maria.

We will use the 5 bottles of ketchup I bought but I still don't know how that happened.
We will use the 5 bottles of ketchup I bought but I still don't know how that happened.

Sounds like you shopped at Costco. Usually ketchup comes in a 55 gallon drum. You lucked out.
No. of Recommendations: 19
5000 rolls is not a lot of toilet paper.

JK
I saw some today in a local beer and wine shop, yet! Big open case of rolls with a sign "$1/49/roll - LIMIT 3". Saw some bought, too.

The fact that individual rolls of tp are being sold in a location that normally doesn't have them is not weird to me. Heck, 2 weeks ago my daughter bought me one roll of tp that was being sold, individually, at a local CVS. They had no packages of tp but used an off brand (Just the Basics) that was individually wrapped to sell. The were $1.00 each and had 1000 sheets per roll but they were one-ply which means you use more.

It's not unusual for liquor stores or convenience stores to have household items but the mark up is quite a bit more.

Robyn

JK

It may not be a lot for a store. I would have to move out if that much moved into my house.
"Saw a lady filling up her carriage with jars of PICKLES! Really?

Vermonter "

DW enjoys pickles and peanut butter sandwiches. And a jar of peanut butter can
out last several jars of pickles.

Howie52
And peanut butter is one of the necessities of life.
Yes -- I saw some today in a local beer and wine shop, yet! Big open case of rolls with a sign "$1/49/roll - LIMIT 3". Saw some bought, too.

But grocery stores still don't usually seem to have any of it, or paper towels, or lots of stuff. Odd what IS available. Saw a lady filling up her carriage with jars of PICKLES! Really?

Vermonter

So we got our first InstaCart order from Costco the other day. We had TP on the list but figured our changes were slim to none even though we heard our Costco had TP almost every morning but was gone by the end of the day. So our guy delivers our stuff and leaves us 3 rolls of unwrapped TP one roll had less than the other two. Nice jester but where did he get it especially the roll that wasn't a full roll! We are keeping it in case of an emergency!

As for the cart load of pickles...my youngest son would only eat two green vegetables as a kid. Pickles and artichokes....don't ask...I have no idea how he picked just those two!

Utahtea
I have wondered the same thing - about TP. Have come to the conclusion that it is because so many people are at home instead of working and using the mega-rolls of TP where they work.

The manufacturers either have not or cannot re-vamp their manufacturing lines to make small, household-sized rolls. I bet there is a ton of single-ply mega-rolls sitting somewhere. People would be happy to unroll them by hand although they might not like the single ply. :)
Fold single ply over and voila! it's double ply!
Picked up a package of 6 at Ralphs today.
There is room here for the ancient joke: "Did you hear about the toilet paper company that went bankrupt? Millions of shareholders were wiped out." Of course, a TP maker would probably be a bullish business about now. Well, now I'm flushed with embarrassment so I shall leave... :)
I'm sitting on a fortune with the 5000 rolls I have in my garage.

How much is that in Buttcoins?

Mike
And peanut butter is one of the necessities of life.

Yes, I use it to bait the mouse traps.
;-)

C.J.V. - DW gots 3 cats and I still hafta buy mouse & rat traps, me
;-(

Not with 3 or 2 teen-aged girls in the house, no
;-)

C.J.V.
I had 2, 18-packs of Quilted Northern bought at Target in Jan & Feb When I heard of the TP shortage, I bought one of those 30 packs of Kirkland TP from Costco in March. And I still have a few rolls left from my previous Costco pack and haven't opened any stored TP yet. I didn't realize how long these packs last! I'm in the habit of buying 1 18- or 30-pack when I'm down to maybe 6 rolls, since I have room in a suburban house. Sooner if I notice a sale on what I like (I require unscented so no Charmin-). When I lived in a NYC studio, I bought one 4-pack when I was down to 1 roll(!).

In my defense, I'm 70 with lung disease so I need to minimize contact with other humans (and apparently their pets, too-) these days.

As it turns out, my ZIP code has the most covid-19 in my state. Why? We have many health care workers, high median HH income + many retirees = above average number of travelers, but mostly due to a particular church, which continued to host events after they should've stopped. Stay away from devout Christians, peeps, it's unsafe!!
My father whom was in Korea War, use a single square, place in palm, stick bird finger thru middle of square and good luck, Todd
C.J.V. - DW gots 3 cats and I still hafta buy mouse & rat traps, me
;-(

Mice don't always come out into areas that cats can access.

My father's cat use to make him check all of the mouse traps whenever he came into the house. Things were going okay until she left a dead mouse in his boot.

JK

=== ===

You have a doctorate in TP from Harvard?

--BigBunk
Pizza!

We’ll have to make up some words to the tune of “Gold Finger”

Bird finger,
Up my azz
And I dare not look
Away

Bird finger,
What will I see
Before the end of the day.....