Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/C?c107:./temp/~c107nT2lgO

This is HR 436 (if the link works)

Dang! I'm not seeing anything about principal and interest, only interest . . .

A change like this was essentially incorporated into the 2001 tax act (Economic Growth and Relief and Fairness And All That Tax Act of 2001). The new limit phases out at $50k for single and $100k for couples. They kept the $2500 cap.

At the start of a loan (esp. 30 year one), most of the payment is interest anyway, but ideally, there should be the full deduction of the payment. Alternatively, I should be allowed to save in a Section 529 account, and apply the gain tax free to an outstanding loan balance. That's the deal the Section 529 savers are getting on tuition now, so why should their tuition payments be tax free and mine can't?
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.