Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
$15K capital loss carry forward from last year.
$3K add since they allow this amount each year.
-$8K capital gains so far this year.
So now I would have $10K more I can offset against gains.
Sell stock for a $17K gain. That would use up the $10K above. So I would have a $7K gain I'd have to pay tax on unless I sell something else at a loss.

Not exactly. The comment $3K add since they allow this amount each year. is incorrect. The $15k capital loss carryforward would be used up first by capital gains. If, after you tally up all your gains/losses for the year, you have less than $15k in gains, up to $3k would be used to offset ordinary income. It's not an 'add because they allow this amount'.

Under the scenario you describe, if you end the year with $25k total in capital gains ($8k already taken and selling for an additional $17k gain), and $15k in a loss carryforward, you would have to pay capital gains taxes on $10k ($25k minus the $15k carryforward). You would not get any offset on ordinary income.

If you don't sell the stock you are thinking of selling, you would have $8k in gains already taken, and would have $3k that would be used to offset ordinary income. That would use up $11k of the carryforward from last 2017 in 2018. You would have $4k left as a carryover for 2019.

Based on prior postings, you seem to want to manage your AGI to qualify for ACA subsidies. I would caution you to see what the additional $17k in capital gain income will do to your AGI.

AJ
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.