Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 3
I am surprised there is no discussion of the new fund offering...maybe I am not on the right board?

I am happy for Jeff, he deserves the best, but pretty disappointed for those who don't qualify or don't like the proposition.

Maybe TMF or 1623 will come up with an option for those of us who loved Pro the way it was? Feeling a little abandoned? Suck it up right?

Sometimes I don't know how to feel!!

Ned
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 4
Hi Ned,

As I understand, we cannot use TMF boards to discuss sister companies, for regulatory reasons. It has nothing to do with what TMF would like or not like, but rather the legal aspect of the relationship. I don't know the nitty gritty details, but I do know that posts about it get quickly deleted, which is all I really need to know.

But since we're not invested in that fund, who really cares. :-)

All Pro members should have been given a trial sub to Tom G's Long Short portfolio... which is doing better than I would have thought, although it's early days still. The boards are certainly not the same, but the port itself has done OK over the very short intro period. Lagged a month, outperformed a month. Time will tell.

I can't say I've made use of the service at all, other than as a screen for put-writing. A lot of the stocks are also in SA and RB so if you have access to those, you can get multiple opinions. I have mostly kept my Pro port intact, with some minor tweaks, and at least for the time being, plan to move forward with it. I considered dumping the whole lot due to the service closing, but ultimately decided not to go that route. At least not yet.

I've written puts on SHOP and TWLO recently, which have done well enough, though of course I could have done a lot better by buying shares directly. Some things never change.

Rob
No. of Recommendations: 0
Rob,

That's very similar to what I've done.

I sold the pro stocks that we were recommended to sell in one of the emails, but have hung on to everything else I had.

I outright purchased TWLO, SHOP, and ANET.

I've been researching opportunities in 5G, but my feeling right now is its a difficult space to make sense of. The really interesting thing to me is semi's that might benefit from the small cell network build out, but I've not found it an easy space to get a handle on. The communication equipment is not like the consumer electronics space were you can quickly and easily tear down information.

Eric
I outright purchased TWLO, SHOP, and ANET.

Nicely done! I wasn't so smart. But overall I can't complain. My Pro stocks have done well this year, and most other things too.

I've been researching opportunities in 5G, but my feeling right now is its a difficult space to make sense of.

Are you thinking about opportunities in 5G infrastructure, or companies that leverage the technology? I would think most of the real money will be made on the latter.

Rob
I only picked up TWLO, SHOP, and ANET recently so I haven't seen any upside, but it was interesting that we had two of the same choices. You are probably doing better than I am on them.

I was trying to look at the 5G trend from wall to wall. Infrastructure, carriers, component manufacturers, installation hoping to find a smaller company that will benefit a lot.

I agree that user equipment is a much bigger market than infrastructure, but the cell phone companies are well established and seem too big and diversified to grow a lot.

Supposedly some of the cell carriers are planning to start adding lots of small cells to the existing network in order to increase bandwidth. The small cells only have like 1000ft range so for continuous coverage you might need 30 or more of them per square mile. Using the area of the 20 largest US cities by population I get like 200,000 cells, but the number of people living in the cities is around 30,000,000. So the number of units is clearly a lot less than phones, but its a new segment in the industry.

There is a bit of discussion on the Skyworks board if your interested:

https://boards.fool.com/4056/3-top-growth-opportunities-for-...
No. of Recommendations: 1
Thanks Rob,

For the most part I have kept my version of the PRO port intact...minor tweaks as you say.

I don't have confidence in others the way I did in Jeff...my problem I guess.

On twitter @VolTrader7 seems to make some pretty good calls, but its much more like trading than Pro, and you have to get into the whole twitter thing which can be a wormhole...

Pro was fun while it lasted, should consider ourselves lucky I suppose.

Ned