Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
NFL players union leader is toying with idea for next union contract for
18 game regular season schedule...

with each player only allowed to play in 16 of his teams 18 games...

Thoughts!!!
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 6
As a fan I love the idea of more games, however, I can't see teams who have star QBs, willing to possibly lose two games each season because their QB has to sit out a couple games.I

Donna
Very interesting. Would create some interesting dynamics as it pertains to when you rest your starters.

Could increase viewership during those games too.
No. of Recommendations: 1
As a fan I love the idea of more games, however, I can't see teams who have star QBs, willing to possibly lose two games each season because their QB has to sit out a couple games.

Injuries would probably solve this problem for most teams though. Which is why the players are reluctant to agree to 18 games.
I agree about injuries. As a fan I'd watch football all year round, but as a player I don't know if I would support more games without an additional break aside from the bye week. I'm just not sure how that would play out. As a previous poster mentioned, it changes the dynamic of the game in a few ways. Not only with determining who plays or who sits for a particular game, but also in how they draft going forward.

Donna
Union: "Yeah, okay. 18 games but you now need to pay for a 70 man roster. And we're upping the salary cap 100M to do that."

Owners: "That'll cost us more than we can make off it. No way!"

Those games could be incredibly important. In fact for some teams, those games would be way too important to sit your money guys.

No, this would ruin the game. It would make two games each season a joke. Nobody wants to fly to Baltimore to see the Patriots play (I am! Nov 3 game!) only to see players not normally on the 53 man roster playing a throw-away game. I'll be mighty pissed is Brady is healthy and sitting on the sidelines. Same for all the other guys.

Not a fan, but understand why the union boss is pushing it.

Simon
In the end it's going to come down to money.

If a player has a contract for $1.6 million a season, that translates to $100,000 per game.

If the owners agree to make that contract now worth $1.8 million, the union will agree to an 18 game schedule.

If the owners insist that the contract stay at $1.6 million, the union will not agree to it.
NFL players union leader is toying with idea for next union contract for
18 game regular season schedule...

If the 18-game season starts around the same time that the current season does, just think how many more "Ice Bowl" fans will get to see late in the season - when it may really matter!!!

It may also push the Super Bowl into March.

Christina
Christina, I think it’s still same # of games...

instead of:

4 preseason + 16 regular season

it would be:

2 preseason + 18 regular season
I'd be in favor of adding another bye week. That's one more week of eyeballs on the TV screens without adding anther game.
4 preseason + 16 regular season

it would be:

2 preseason + 18 regular season

Thats's the same formula they used to from 6 preseason + 14 game regular season to the present day of 4 and 16.

My gut says no although it probably will be a reality.
" Would create some interesting dynamics ..."

One of which would be whether teams would be required to announce the starting lineup in advance of each game, as they now do with injuries.
It'll screw up fantasy leagues.
"It'll screw up fantasy leagues. "

How can a fantasy be screwed up?

Are you just trying to be witty or are you asking a serious question about how a fantasy football team be screwed up?

PSU
"Are you just trying to be witty or are you asking a serious question about how a fantasy football team be screwed up?"

Aah, grow up! A fantasy is a fantasy. It's not football, and all the nail chewing that goes into it doesn't alter the outcome of a single game.

RayB
fantasy leagues would easily adapt by adding bench space.
No. of Recommendations: 6

Christina Applegate with the voice of Roseanne.
fantasy leagues would easily adapt by adding bench space.

Sure but the players sitting on the bench now pretty much are low contributors to the team scoring. Adding a 3rd string QB or 5th string RB provide about as much help as leaving the slot open. Bye weeks are easy to handle when drafting a team because you know exactly with week the player isn't playing. You know that all your RBs better not have Week 10 off. Throwing in random off weeks twice a season will be difficult to manage unless bench space is increased significantly which dilutes the talent of the available free agents.

PSU
I heard Rich Eisen or Dan Patrick the other day say that the players union will adamantly say they are against 18 games until the offer from the owners is too huge to pass up. Basically hold out till it really is an offer they can't refuse. I think that will be their plan.

And the players will play all 18 games.

On the other hand, also heard that with those three extra weeks (two extra games and another bye) the off season is shortened more.

But it is all about the money..

Simon