Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
1A:
Have you experienced
"eternal"
as defined by MasonMcDan?

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=20167378
"You know inherently it's profound, and meaningful, and not just some chemically-induced chimera.... almost unbearably beautiful"

Yes, I experienced the "eternal" as described by MasonMcDan. It was profound, meaningful, lucid ... and an illusion.

I have had experiences of the utmost lucidity, feeling one with the universe, in complete understanding of it and of how everything is inter-related, only to find out how totally absurd it all was when I woke up.

The reason I know is because I am a software programmer and when heavily focused on a problem my dreams become an intermixture of real-world and software elements -- no example would do justice to its extreme absurdity -- and yet during my dream it all appears so normal and profound, the solution to my problem bathing in glorious light, giving me complete peace of mind for having figured it out, feeling one not just with the solution but with the whole universe and all that is in it and how it interrelates, anxious to write it all down before the feeling dissipates again. But when I wake up and reach for a pen, the cold light of reality shines on it and reveals the utter absurdity of it all.

The reason I know is because I only experience dreams like that when I am heavily focused on a problem, consistent with the theory that sleep serves partly to digest the day's experiences. The field of my daily focus (software) is a virtual, non-existent reality which in my dreams get mingled with real world images, but when waking up it is easy to see again how the two got intermingled.

It is also easy to see that people who's daily focus is on real-world objects may have a lot more difficulty separating the real real-world objects from the false ones in their dreams, especially if the whole experience bathes in a feeling of lucidity and inner peace.

I have it only in my dreams, but I am also not hypnotizable, whereas the greater part of humanity is, which suggests to me that a lot of folks may have such experiences while awake.

So, there you go, "eternal" is an illusion, unless we really do live in the Matrix, in which case my dreams might be an indication I should swallow the blue pill. Where is Morpheus when you need him?

I Nisanu
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.