Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 2
1poorguy:

Interesting article, sort of, but like most of these, the generalizations obviously cannot cover all of us.

One thing I smiled at was the idea of having life insurance. Has anyone managed to have that past, say, age 70 or so -- at any reasonable cost? I used to carry a hefty amount, when we were younger with a family, but as the kids grew up and moved on, and we got older, life insurance amounts began to drop away because (a) the companies no longer wanted to insure us (for obvious reasons) and (b) rates got to be ridiculous. In fact, I resent the adds in AARP magazines, for one example, because they still run huge ads for life insurance that costs a huge amount!

To the original point:

Over the years, my wife and I developed strong "shopping" habits, and it's very hard for us to blow money on food or other things that appear to cost too much for what we want! She still peruses the three major chain grocery stores we have in the area, checking on who is selling what, for how much. I have gradually begun to convince her to go ahead and "blow" money sometimes on things like a favorite candy or other food item, just because she wants it! Same for me!

We also still have trouble "wasting food" on our plates, for example, in a restaurant, because, when we were growing up we were always admonished to "eat your food; others are starving".

Old habits are hard to break, even when we now have reached a point when we simply don't NEED to spend more than we have coming in. In earlier times, I remember struggling to find money enough to pay our essential bills, and maybe pushing some things off "until next payday".

Vermonter
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.