Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
1poorguy wrote No. It's thousands of shares. The CIL was separate, trivially small, and I already accepted it.

I am going to assume the number is not only over 1,000 share and also more than say 2% of that holding.

As the son of a Tax Accountant and the spouse of a former bank CFO, I do understand and appreciate the desire to have accurate portfolio records. That said, keep this points in mind:

#1. Your broker keeps records and is required to inform the IRS (and you) or any sales.
#2. Your broker is similarly required to inform the IRS of the basis for the investments sold, unless those investments were made at some date in the past - in which case you merely enter the basis your records show on the tax forms.

If Quicken has it wrong and your broker is correct, other than having a nice agreement on share count, does any of this matter?

If your broker actually has an error and Quicken is correct, do you think you have any chance of winning this disagreement with the IRS?

I also have had such weirdnesses with Quicken -- although they were in the distant past. After deploring the stupidity of things, I made a single entry in Quicken so that the current Quicken number agreed with my broker and stopped worrying about it. I sleep better.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.