Poll: What is your biggest expense in retirement

I now eat a large bowl of kale every day for K2.

I’ve eaten kale.

I’d rather die 5 years earlier than eat kale every day. I’d actually call that a good trade.

–Peter <== really doesn’t like kale.

12 Likes

"women are my biggest expense…i retired single and date a lot… "

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

People generally need to interact with other people for their own health and happiness. The
main problem is developing a degree of trust in the other person. This also holds true in
marriage - though the issue tends to begun maintaining that trust.
I don’t think there is of necessity any expense differences between married life and single
life. You have individuals and some want to do things that cost more or less money.

Howie52
Things tend to be a matter of individual people and how or why they interact.
Money tends to be used as a cure for problems. But the disease is sometimes more resistant than
the cure supposes.

2 Likes

You need to find a GF like this.

‘I’m a man of simple pleasures’: I live with my girlfriend, 59, who owns several homes and has saved $3 million. I pay utilities and cable, and do repairs. Is that enough?
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/im-a-man-of-simple-pleasur…

intercst

1 Like

I’d rather die 5 years earlier than eat kale every day. I’d actually call that a good trade.

I’ve heard that the trick is all in how you prepare it.
Use plenty of extra virgin olive oil…this allows it to slide off your plate into the trash bin much easier.

Mike

24 Likes

Or maybe you should stop leasing and make a commitment!

If it flies, floats, or…has sex, it is cheaper to rent.

4 Likes

Or maybe you should stop leasing and make a commitment!

If it flies, floats, or…has sex, it is cheaper to rent.

Correct…

1poorlady sometimes puts kale in soups. Completely hides the taste. As long as it’s shredded a bit, I hardly notice.

But just leaves on a plate? Yuck. Lettuce, arugula, spinach, kale…I’ll pass. That’s what food eats.

1poorguy

4 Likes

I stopped taking the supplements because I felt really bad all over. Achy, tired and weak. This went away when I stopped the supplements.

I don’t know if this is an individual reaction or why it happened.

I also stopped taking calcium supplements when a large study showed that it didn’t reduce osteoporosis in postmenopausal women and might increase the risk of cardiovascular disease and kidney stones.

Which is because of a need for K2 to get that calcium out of the soft tissue and into the bone. Sis has osteoporosis. Was put on calcium and it did not help the bone density until she added K2 to the supplement. A Calcium test showed her heart was looking bad also and that too reversed with the K2. I have been taking it for a couple of years now and have never had any issues with K2.

I now eat a large bowl of kale every day for K2.

Sadly, produce these days tends to be very deficient in nutrients as we deplete the soil. Though eating well and exercising is the best first defense against poor health, modern day farming provides us with produce that is much lower in nutrients that previously.

IP

2 Likes

Kale just has a good PR firm.

Romaine lettuce has a VERY similar nutritional profile to kale and is much tastier. Kale’s got more protein, but unless you’re a vegan, you probably don’t need to worry about that.

(I’ll eat kale if I must, but can’t say I like it).

1 Like

It looks like I am in the minority. I really like kale. In fact I like just about all veggies. The exceptions are beets and chard. The geosmin in them give them a dirt like taste that I do not like.

1 Like

Wendy: Ha, ha.
A middle-aged guy cracked that “joke” in front of us about 30 years ago. I turned to DH and said, “Say, sweetheart, maybe I should quit my job so you can support me.”

The humorist gulped.

Gulp.

Should have added “Present company excluded.”

Now I know why people look at me funny when I recommend kale salad at Blue Mountain Brewery.

1 Like

Don’t get me wrong. I like a lot of vegetables. One of my favorites is another commonly despised one, Brussels sprouts.

Just not kale. I will eat it in a mixed salad. Sometimes. My main objection is it eating it every day. There are so many other foods around that taste better and are still good for you.

—Peter

"1poorlady sometimes puts kale in soups. Completely hides the taste. As long as it’s shredded a bit, I hardly notice.

But just leaves on a plate? Yuck. Lettuce, arugula, spinach, kale…I’ll pass. That’s what food eats.

1poorguy "

My grandmother used to fix kale and potatoes together. Course she grew kale and potatoes.

Howie52
As I recall she used to add ketchup to the dish when she served herself.
The moral of this story is that you can make the healthiest food unhealthy in how you serve
the dish.
A second moral is that ketchup can hide the nastiest tastes.

4 Likes

Another lesson is ketchup is loaded with sugar or high fructose corn syrup. About 25% carbs by wt.

A terrible choice for diabetics.

Sugar free is available but you have to search for it.

2 Likes

At this point it looks like kale is everyone’s biggest expense in retirement. Weird!!!

6 Likes

I think the answer depends on how you define housing, even if taxes was an option.

For sake of the options offered, for housing, I would include my real estate tax, homeowners insurance, utilities, HOA fee, and either your rent or mortgage payment if you have one. One could also include lawn care, exterminator, and any cleaning service if you have one. In my case this would be #1 with a bit of an edge over taxes (not real estate), vacations, contributions and medical, any one of which could be #2 based on the year.

1 Like

"Another lesson is ketchup is loaded with sugar or high fructose corn syrup. About 25% carbs by wt.

A terrible choice for diabetics.

Sugar free is available but you have to search for it."

The price for eating kale?

Howie52
As I said, there are always ways to make healthy foods unhealthy.

Visa versa?
Not so much.

Sugar frosted kale ----- yum.

2 Likes

At this point it looks like kale is everyone’s biggest expense in retirement. Weird!!!

Not everyone. Apparently you missed the women detour.

Then again, one of them could have been called “Kale” :wink:

2 Likes

Expenses

Federal income tax

Housing and real estate tax ($4000 tax, $1700 insurance, $10K upkeep (utilities, maintenance, lawn service , cleaning lady, pool service - and repairs). (Doesn’t include the imputed cost of a $450,000 paid for house) - ie, if you had that money in the market returning 11%/yr…you’re out tens of thousands of bucks a year…minus rental costs…

Medicare supplement and drug plan

Eating out and food…

Charity donations…

t.