Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
1st question: Are there any kind of tax breaks when paying tuition for a dependent?

There are at least four education tax breaks that I am aware of-
1. Hope credit
2. Lifetime learning Credit
3. Education IRA (Coverdell)
4. Interest deduction on education loans

The first two are an either/or for a student.

2nd question: ...
I'm not sure you want your son as the primary on joint savings/checking accounts. Why not just simplify things and pay the tuition from your current account and open the higher interest account as a separate account? Also, unless your son is living at home, there is a reasonable chance there are equivalent or better banking resources near, or at, his college/university.

I think the IRS document you need is Pub 970

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.