Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
2. Does employer offer a Traditional 401K plan or a Roth 401K plan? My recent research shows that a typical Roth 401K has nearly 15% financial advantage (i.e., after-tax spendable income) to the retiree versus that available with a Traditional 401K plan (i.e., assuming same contributions in each plan). Until this effort I had not recognized the tremendous financial advantage to the retiree when employer contributions were made to his/her Roth 401K account. Suggest younger employees should have a bias toward those employers who offer a Roth 401K plan versus those who offer a Traditional 401K plan.

I thought employer contributions had to be made to a traditional 401k. Employees can contribute to a Roth 401k.

Isn't it better to look at your own situation than the typical situation? I still contribute to the tradition 401K instead of Roth IRA due to marginal tax rate.

PSU
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.