Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
Endorse Romney/Ryan. Log Cabin Republicans and GOProud.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

A prominent gay Republican group offered Mitt Romney its "qualified endorsement" on Tuesday, calling it the right decision for the nation even as it slammed Romney's opposition to gay marriage.

Rather than offer the Republican presidential nominee its full support, Log Cabin Republicans said it will focus its efforts instead on Republican candidates for House and Senate who favor equality for gays and lesbians.

"If LGBT issues are a voter's highest or only priority, then Gov. Romney may not be that voter's choice," the group said in its endorsement, adding that its members value a diverse set of issues. "We believe Gov. Romney will make cutting spending and job creation his priorities, and, as his record as governor of Massachusetts suggests, will not waste his precious time in office with legislative attacks on LGBT Americans."

Romney spokeswoman Andrea Saul said in an email that the candidate welcomes the endorsement and appreciates the group's support.

A lengthy explanation released by Log Cabin Republicans under the banner "We Are Americans First" was part endorsement, part rebuke to a Republican Party whose standard-bearers the group said "appear to be caught up in an outdated culture war." The group argued that Americans of all sexual orientations have suffered financially under President Barack Obama, and while Romney may not share all of their views, he could be worse.

"Mitt Romney is not Rick Santorum, and Paul Ryan is not Michele Bachmann. Otherwise, our decision would have been different," the group said.

Even so, Log Cabin Republicans, a vocal and long-time critic of Romney's opposition to gay marriage and civil unions, said it would continue fighting a federal amendment banning gay marriage, which Romney supports, and condemned "the aspects of the GOP platform which work to exclude our families."

Stonewall Democrats, a national gay group backing Obama, called the decision by Log Cabin Republicans shameful and insulting. "This is politics at its worst — when a community sells out its own people for the gain of a few individuals," Jerame Davis, the group's executive director, said in a statement.

The last-minute endorsement by the Republican group reflected persistent tensions among gay conservatives about what role to play within a party still largely opposed to many of the broader gay community's priorities. Another gay Republican group, GOProud, in June said it would "enthusiastically endorse" Romney and pledged to "commit significant resources" to electing him.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
"If LGBT issues are a voter's highest or only priority,...

I think the same thing about people who only look at abortion. If you're that adamant about it, fine, but you can easily wind up with someone who will do far more damage involving other issues.

JLC
No. of Recommendations: 2
"If LGBT issues are a voter's highest or only priority,...

I think the same thing about people who only look at abortion. If you're that adamant about it, fine, but you can easily wind up with someone who will do far more damage involving other issues.

JLC

>>>>>>>

indeed, if I'm not safe from terrorists and other criminals or if I'm being taxed to death.....those other issues don't mean dang!

There is never, ever going to be the perfect candidate who I agree with on every single issue, just like a lover or spouse.....or friend for that matter.

LD
No. of Recommendations: 4

JLC

In the end, being gay or pro/con abortion is something you mostly can control yourself regardless of who is the president.

If you are gay, no right wing President can really do much to affect you.

If you are pro-life, no left wing president can force you to have an abortion.

Issues of economics, energy policy and defense affect us far, far more and we should vote accordingly.

decath
No. of Recommendations: 0
"indeed, if I'm not safe from terrorists and other criminals or if I'm being taxed to death.....those other issues don't mean dang!" - luckydog

I would have used "diddly squat" instead of "dang" at the end of that sentence. It would have been the perfect place for "diddly squat."

As in "I haven't done diddly squat today." Or, "I don't plan on doing diddly squat the rest of today."

<grin!>

Artie
"indeed, if I'm not safe from terrorists and other criminals or if I'm being taxed to death.....those other issues don't mean dang!" - luckydog

I would have used "diddly squat" instead of "dang" at the end of that sentence. It would have been the perfect place for "diddly squat."

As in "I haven't done diddly squat today." Or, "I don't plan on doing diddly squat the rest of today."

<grin!>

Artie

>>>>>>>>
well I could have said chit. :)
I would have used "diddly squat" instead of "dang"...

In this context I think "diddly poo" would have been a better choice.

JLC
No. of Recommendations: 1

<grin!>

Artie

I don't have digital
I don't have diddly squat
It's not having what you want
It's wanting what you've got

-Sheryl Crow, "Soak Up The Sun"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIYiGA_rIls
I would have used "diddly squat" instead of "dang" at the end of that sentence.

I understand that decath can do diddly squats with 300 lbs. He must have one strong diddly.

--fleg